ep. 36: Hannah Crowell
Interior designer Hannah Crowell talks about her modern bohemian design aesthetic, her love of crystals, and her trick for dealing with the Retin-A uglies.
Our guest this week is Hannah Crowell, owner and principal designer of Crowell & Co. Interiors, a design company based in Nashville.
A native Nashvillian, Hannah moved to San Francisco in 1995 to study art history and theatre. She spent the next 12 years in California working in the visual and performing arts. She served as director and curator for the Joseph Bellows Gallery in San Diego while attending the San Diego Design Institute studying interior design. She was founder and co-owner of Belak & Crowell Interiors before opening her own design firm, Crowell + Co. Interiors.
In this episode, Hannah shares how she transitioned from a career in art to interior design and her self-described "modern bohemian" design aesthetic. Hannah told Jesse about her witchy self-care routines (including how she uses crystals personally and in her design work), her favorite scentless dry shampoo, and the gentle product she uses to deal with what we lovingly call the "Retin-A uglies." Plus, Hannah and Jesse bonded over their mutual fear of the salespeople in Le Labo (although they both have spent more money there than they care to admit), and Hannah told a cautionary tale about why you should be very careful when shaving your face.
Download the episode on iTunes or listen below, and scroll down for a full product breakdown.
hannah's desert-island products
- Dr. Hauschka Soothing Cleansing Milk
- Dior Addict Lipstick in #266 "Delight"
- Dr. Lipp Original Nipple Balm
- Therapy Systems Energizing Enzyme Peel
- Mahima Wellness Center White Lotus Analgesic Balm
Other products/things discussed in this episode:
- Hannah's favorite candle is the Le Labo Palo Santo 14 Candle and she also uses Palo Santo smudge sticks.
- Hannah recommends the Dove Refresh + Care Unscented Dry Shampoo.
- The Instagram account Hannah mentioned that helps to explain why Le Labo stores are so intimidating is @overheardlelabo.
- The New York Times article about Le Labo's Santal 33 is here.
- Hannah's all-time favorite perfume is Chanel Chance.
- The perfume Jesse bought when she was 18 because it was "chic, but also involved pot" is Fresh's Cannabis Santal.
- Hannah's new favorite mascara is Lancôme's Monsieur Big.
- The Japanese peeling gel you can buy on Amazon is Cure Natural Aqua Gel.
- Jesse (once again) sang the praises of Drunk Elephant's T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial.
- The Dior product that makes you look like you have "rich people nails" is Dior Nail Glow Nail Enhancer.
- Hannah's favorite face mist is Herbivore's Rose Hibiscus Coconut Water Hydrating Face Mist.