ep. 35: Ciona Rouse
Poet Ciona Rouse shares her journey to publishing her first chapbook, Vantablack, discusses the importance of overcoming the taboo, reveals her trick for mixing mud masks, and explains how the Sunday edition of The New York Times completes her self-care routine.
Our guest this week is Ciona Rouse, a poet and author of Vantablack, a poetry chapbook released by Third Man Books in 2017. A staple of Nashville's literary scene, Ciona's poetry has been featured on WPLN Nashville Public Radio, Nashville Public Television, Matter, Talking River and NATIVE. Ciona curates many literary experiences in the city, including the monthly Lyrical Brew reading series at Barnes & Noble and Writings on the Wall, an interactive poetry reading at Atmalogy. Her poetry was recently acknowledged as "Best Dressed" by Sundress Publications and won the Literary Death Match at the 2017 Southern Festival of Books.
In this episode, Ciona shares how she first discovered her love for poetry and how she has turned it into her career, offering up invaluable advice to others on a similar path. A native of South Carolina and the daughter of a United Methodist Church preacher, Ciona was raised with a lot of taboo and discusses her journey to overcome that in her poetry in pursuit of openness and healing. She shares how for her, poetry and books are beauty and pivotal to her self-care routine, including her weekly ritual of reading the Sunday edition of The New York Times with her partner. She also talks all about her favorite products, like her jade roller, Fenty Beauty Foundation and the shave brush she borrows from her husband to mix her clay masks. And to top it all off, Ciona beautifully reads a poem from her chapbook VANTABLACK.
Download the episode on iTunes or listen below, and scroll down for a full product breakdown.
ciona's desert-island products
- Catalog of Unabashed Gratitude by Ross Gay
- I'm So Fine: A List o Famous Men & What I Had On by Khadijah Queen
- The New York Times Sunday Edition
- Shave Brush (similar here)
- Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation
- Boxing Gloves (similar here)
- Pixi Rose Oil Blend
- Castor Oil
- Ora Organic Trust Your Gut Probiotics + Prebiotics Powder
- evanhealy French Rose Clay
- Cafe Roze
- Jade Roller (similar here)
- Pixi Nourishing Cleansing Balm
OTHER THINGS DISCUSSED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Ciona uses a mix of apple cider vinegar and DevaCurl One Condition to wash her hair.
- Ciona uses L’Oreal Paris Infalliable Pro-Matte Foundation Makeup in 112 as her concealer.
- Jesse uses Pixi Double Cleanse.
- Jesse recommends Fenty Beauty Stunna Lip Paint.
- Jesse references this video of Rihanna using a powder puff on her shoulders.