ep. 32: Julia Sullivan
Julia Sullivan, executive chef and co-owner of Henrietta Red, shares her experiences working as a female in a male-dominated world of professional kitchens, thoughts on wearing makeup to work and the low-maintenance lip stain she owns in nearly every color.
Our guest this week is Julia Sullivan, executive chef and co-owner of Henrietta Red, an American restaurant in the historic Germantown neighborhood of Nashville offering seasonal contemporary cooking, an oyster bar and natural wines.
A native of Nashville, Chef Sullivan attended the Culinary Institute of America in New York and worked in acclaimed restaurants including Blue Hill at Stone Barns, Per Se, Franny’s, and Haven’s Kitchen. In February 2017, Chef Sullivan opened the doors to Henrietta Red with her business partner, General Manager and Sommelier Allie Poindexter, to critical acclaim. Henrietta Red was named a 2018 James Beard Award Semifinalist for Best New Restaurant, one of America's Best New Restaurant's 2017 by Bon Appetit, and has been featured in countless publications including The New York Times, Elle, Vogue.com, and The Wall Street Journal .
In this episode, Julia shares her experience working as a female in a male-dominated world of professional kitchens, her love of oysters and her favorite items on the Henrietta Red menu. Julia also shares her thoughts on wearing makeup to work, her love of neutral nails and the low-maintenance lip stain she owns in nearly every color.
Download the episode on iTunes or listen below, and scroll down for a full product breakdown.
julia's desert-island products
- Skratch Labs Exercise Hydration Drink Mix
- Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate, 3.4 oz
- Megafood Daily Turmeric Nutrient Booster Powder
- Arm & Hammer Simply Saline Nasal Mist
- Kiehl's Powerful-Strength Line-Reducing Concentrate
- Conair Color Match Bobby Pins
- Kiehl's Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado
- Beautycounter Dew Skin Moisturizing Coverage
- Essie Nail Polish in "Topless and Barefoot"
- Weleda Skin Food
- Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm in "Mighty Mimosa," "Two Ton Tomato," and "Mightiest Maraschino"
- Tarte Cheek Stain in "True Love"
- Aquaphor Lip Repair
- CoverGirl Professional Remarkable Mascara
OTHER THINGS DISCUSSED IN THIS EPISODE: