ep. 29: Genie Lockwood
Arcade Nashville owner Genie Lockwood talks about why she decided to open a children's store, how she balances motherhood with entrepreneurship, and the exfoliants she can't live without.
Our guest this week is the owner of Arcade Nashville, Genie Lockwood. In this episode, Genie — a Nashville native — told us about about how she moved home to Nashville after living in New York with plans to open an interior design store. Genie switched paths and decided to open a children's store after she became a mother to two boys. Genie was inspired by her boys' "magical and mysterious childhood world," and wanted to open a store that sold thoughtful, interesting, and well-made products for children and adults.
As both a mother to two young boys and the owner of a children's store, Genie talked about the importance of her using her self-care routine to maintain a sense of balance in her life. Genie and Jesse also talked about the products currently in Genie's makeup bag, including the new Nars lipstick in the perfect shade of red, the chemical exfoliant that keeps her skin glowing, and the cult favorite concealer she swears by. We also talked about Genie's love of all things Glossier, and why she thinks the new Glossier body wash and moisturizer live up to their hype.
Download the episode on iTunes or listen below, and scroll down for a full product breakdown.
As a special treat for Mirror Mirror listeners, Genie is offering 20% off in-store purchases now through March 10, 2018, when you mention the podcast at checkout.
genie's desert-island products
- Glossier Body Hero Daily Oil Wash
- Glossier Body Hero Daily Perfecting Cream
- Kiehl’s Crème de Corps
- Glossier Priming Moisturizer Rich
- La Mer Crème de la Mer
- Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Universal Daily Peel
- Glossier Invisible Shield Sunscreen
- Glossier Boy Brow
- Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Fluid Foundation
- By Terry Ombre Blackstar in Bronze Moon
- Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eyeliner in Mahogany Brown
- Cle de Peau Beaute Concealer
- Nars Powermatte Lip Pigment in Light My Fire
- Bumble and Bumble All-Style Blow Dry
- Bumble and Bumble Prêt-à-Powder
- Kingsley Exfoliating Gloves
OTHER THINGS DISCUSSED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Everyone should own Kevyn Aucoin's classic book Making Faces.
- The new dry shampoo from Bumble and Bumble that Jesse mentioned is called Pret-a-Powder Tres Invisible Dry Shampoo.
- The Japenese washcloth Jesse mentioned is called a Salux and she swears it will change your life.
- Caroline Hirons' interview with Emily Weiss where Emily says she wanted Glossier Body Hero to smell like a "French baby" is below.