ep. 24: Hart Hagerty
Designer Hart Hagerty shares the story behind her namesake brand, the product she was "gooped" into buying, how she makes her green eyes pop, her foundation hack and why getting fired was the best thing that ever happened to her.
Our guest this week is Hart Hagerty, the founder and designer of Hart tassel earrings and custom embroidered jackets.
A seventh-generation Charlestonian, Hart lived in Shanghai for six years after graduating from Vanderbilt University with a degree in East Asian Studies and fluent in Mandarin Chinese. While working as a fashion editor and trend researcher for a Chinese magazine, her discovery of tribal textiles and embroideries inspired her to launch her namesake line of jackets in 2013, with tassel earrings to come. Hart left China for New York City in 2014 and landed a high-profile strategy job at a creative studio, all the while keeping her business on the side. The job didn't work out and Hart got let go, the very same day her license for her LLC was approved. In August 2016, Hart returned home to Charleston to pursue her business full time. Hart has been featured in Who What Wear, Cosmopolitan, Martha Stewart Weddings, Marie Claire, Nylon Magazine, People.com and more.
We talked to Hart about how her business came to be, why getting fired may have been the best thing that ever happened to her and why she chose to return home to Charleston to fully dive into her business. Hart talks about the product she was "gooped" into buying (hey, if it's good enough for Gwyneth, right?), how she makes her green eyes pop, and the French pharmacy find she uses as a moisturizer, primer and face mask. Hart also reveals her holy grail highlighter and her hack for creating the perfect foundation.
Download the episode on iTunes or listen below, and scroll down for a full product breakdown.
hart's desert-island products
- NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil
- Laura Mercier Mineral Illuminating Powder in Starlight
- Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer - Oil Free
- Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation
- Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk - Non-Aerosol
- Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour
- Glossier Birthday Balm Dot Com
- HART Sage Topknots
- Pearl Powder (similar here)
- Malibu Blondes Wellness Remedy
- Obagi Nu-Derm Exfoderm Forte
- Faith in Face After Shower Look Hydrogel Mask Sheet
- Embryolisse Lait Creme Concentre
- Milk Makeup Lip + Cheek
- Bluebonnet Acidophilus Plus FOS
- Organic Pharmacy Dry Brush
other items discussed in this episode:
- Laura Mercier Sketch & Intensify Pomade and Powder Duo. Hart uses the Glossier Boy Brow applicator brush to apply this product to her brows.
- Jesse loves Milk Makeup Eye Vinyl and Face Gloss.
- The two Drunk Elephant products Jesse recommended to Hart were Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Framboos™ Glycolic Night Serum and Drunk Elephant C-Firma Dry Serum.
- The applicator Jesse uses to apply her foundation is beautyblender.