EP. 16: Libby Callaway talks about her time working in new york city as a fashion journalist and editor, how 'the callaway' came to be, her tips for maintaining her signature mane, and how getting sober changed her perception of beauty
A native of Cleveland, Tennessee, Libby lived in New York City for several years working as a fashion editor and journalist at some of the country's most widely regarded magazines and newspapers, including the New York Post, where she was employed as a writer and editor from 1997 to 2004. As a freelance fashion and style writer, she has penned stories for Elle, the New York Times' T magazine, Style.com, Travel + Leisure and Glamour. After moving to Nashville in 2004, Libby worked as the marketing director for Billy Reid and the media director for imogene + willie. A former wardrobe stylist and vintage clothing dealer, Libby's personal style has appeared in InStyle, Elle, Lucky, Us Weekly, Nylon, Vogue, Style.com, NBC's The Today Show and The Selby, among other notable titles.
We talked to Libby about her experience in New York City working in fashion journalism, including the one time she went to Cannes Film Festival with 40 Victoria's Secret models and witnessed firsthand Tyra Banks eating a sandwich moments before walking the runway. We also discussed why she chose to move to Nashville. Libby shared how quitting drinking and smoking changed her perception of beauty and self-care, and how exercise keeps her young. Libby also shared her tips for keeping her signature strawberry-blonde mane in top form and discussed her favorite beauty products.
Download the episode on iTunes or listen above, and scroll down for a full product breakdown!
libby's desert-island products
- Aesop Shine*
- Clary Collection Renew + Repair Oil*
- Kyoto Eau de Toilette by Comme des Garcons Series 3: Incense*
- Glossier Boy Brow*
- Giorgio Armani 'Maestro Eraser' Dark Circle Concealer*
- Tom Ford Lip Color Shine in Nubile and Dominic*
- Aila Top Coat Shine*
- Aila Nail Lacquer in Bodega*
- Aila Base Coat Prime*
- Karee Hays Sheer Peptide Gel (available in store only)*
- Evian Mineral Water Spray
- Lancome Definicils High Definition Mascara*
*Indicates items discussed on the podcast.
Other items discussed in this episode:
- Mark Massa at Style Kitchen highlights Libby's hair twice a year.
- Rachel Dwyer at Shay's Studio does Libby's brows.
- John Frieda Frizz Ease Extra Strength Hair Serum - listen to the episode to find out just how many pumps Libby uses each time!
- Karee Hays Koji Pads (available for purchase at Karee Hays in Nashville)
- Revision Skincare Intellishade tinted moisturizer
- Glossier Generation G lipstick
- The website Libby refers to for buying $4 vials of perfume is LuckyScent.com.
- Care Trudon Spirit de Sancti Candle
- doTERRA Balance Grounding Blend
- The hotel Libby is working on is The Noelle, slated to open in downtown Nashville in late 2017.
- The book Jesse refers to is How to Murder Your Life by Cat Marnell. Read an excerpt from the book here.
more pics of libby
thank you, libby!