EP. 21: KELLY HENDERSON TALKS GROOMING, HAIR EXTENSIONS, MICROBLADING, Favorite dry shampoos & cultivating her inner sense of beauty through daily self-affirmations
Our guest this week is Kelly Henderson, a triple threat stylist, hair stylist and makeup artist; the voice behind Velvet's Edge, a lifestyle blog; and host of the soon-to-be Velvet's Edge with Kelly Henderson podcast on the new Nashville Podcast Network by Bobby Bones and iHeart Media.
Kelly has been a hair and makeup artist in Nashville for 12 years, specializing in grooming, which is hair and makeup for men. Notable clients of Kelly's include Dierks Bentley, Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Sam Hunt, Kip Moore, Kelsea Ballerini, Aubrie Sellers, Tucker Beathard, Sam Palladio, and the cast of Nashville, CMT and GAC, and her work has been featured in Glamour, Rolling Stone, People, US Weekly and more. Looking for another creative outlet, Kelly launched Velvet’s Edge with her friend April nearly five years ago. Since then, Kelly has become the sole voice of the blog, sharing her thoughts on fashion, beauty, travel and everything in between.
We talked to Kelly about how Velvet’s Edge was born out of a “phoenix out of the ashes” moment and what it’s like having mostly men as her clients. Kelly shared her experience with microblading (and her tips for withstanding the pain) and how she maintains her gorgeous hair extensions (curtousey of Mirror Mirror ep. 5 guest Leah Hoffman). She reveals the product that makes you look like you drink “four green juices a day,” her love for drugstore lipsticks and her go-to dry shampoos. Kelly also shared her journey to cultivate her inner beauty through daily self-affirmations.
Download the episode on iTunes or listen above, and scroll down for a full product breakdown!
kelly's desert-island products
- BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector Luminous Blush
- Oribe Apres Beach
- NYX Professional Makeup Full Throttle Lipstick
- Essie Nail Polish
- Benefit Cosmetics Watt's Up! Cream-to-Powder Highlighter
- IT Cosmetics Brow Power Universal Eyebrow Pencil
- Rodial GLAMOLASH Mascara
- Tom Ford Black Orchid Eau de Toilette
- Kevin Murphy SHIMMER.SHINE
Other items discussed in this episode:
- Some of the other products Kelly can’t live without are BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector and Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray.
- Kelly is a dry shampoo junkie and swears by R+Co Badlands Dry Shampoo Paste, R+Co Death Valley Dry Shampoo and Kevin Murphy DOO.OVER dry powder finishing hair spray. Jesse recently tried Ouai Haircare Dry Shampoo Foam and loved it.
- Kelly’s post about Rodan & Fields Lash Boost serum can be read here.
- Kelly swears by IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream with SPF 50+ for giving her male clients natural, dewy and clean-looking skin.
- Kelly goes to Leah Hoffman for her hair extensions and color. You can listen to our interview with Leah Hoffman here and read about Kelly’s experience with hair extensions here.
- The article Jesse mentions ranking Tom Ford’s fragrances – including Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous Eau de Parfum – can be read here.
- Jesse goes to FACE Nashville for her Lash Lift treatment. Jesse knows the cardinal rule of perm maintenance from Legally Blonde; check out the clip here.
more pics of kelly
thank you, kelly!